Friday, 16 July 2010

The Arsenal Paper Round: Friday July 16, 2010


It is, at the time of writing, 30 hours until our first pre-season game of the 2010-2011 campaign.

The excitement is certainly bubbling up. We'll hopefully get to see both of our new signings at some point tomorrow in the game with Barnet.

I won't be there. I'm not going to be attending any of our pre-season games but will watch them all on Arsenal TV Online.

How much game time either Marouane Chamakh and Laurent Koscielny remains to be seen but I would be very surprised if they didn't at least have a half on the field at Underhill.

The official site hope to have a squad list of all those to be included up later today.

I would imagine that there will be quite a few youngsters involved. Could Nacer Barazite score for a third season in a row in this fixture?

More on that game tomorrow.

Our favourite summer transfer story has taken another turn.

Sergio Busquets, that fine chap from Barcelona, has been the latest player to tap up Cesc.

Busquets said :

"He (Fabregas) is a great player that would add a lot to the team.

"But we have to respect that he is owned by another club that is not Barcelona, that he is an Arsenal player and, for the time being, there's nothing to be done."

Strangely Barcelona have released a statement on their website stating they have €50 million to spend on new players in this transfer window.

This is obviously brinkmanship with Arsenal. To say they only have that amount to spend, so we won't or can't bid any higher so you'll have to accept what we've got.
Well Barcelona, I say to you that Cesc Fabregas is worth far more than €50 million and it would be disrespectful to both the player and Arsenal if you made such a derisory offer for a world class player again.

 On their website, reported by Sky, Barcelona state:
"The club has approximately €50 million net to spend on new players each season.

"In the case of this season, buying David Villa (€40 million) combined with the sales of Yaya Toure and Dmytro Chygrynskiy balance themselves out.

"This means the club still has €50 million to spend."

A bit of transfer action this morning.

We've been linked with a move for Ipswich's 17-year-old striker Connor Wickham, according to the Daily Mail.

But the man in the know over at Young Guns says he can't believe we'll make a move for Wickham, considering the young strikers we have got at the club.

The Daily Express say Hamburg want to take William Gallas to the Bundesliga as a replacement for Jerome Boateng, who was sold to Manchester City last week. Gallas has also been linked with Paris St Germain and Panathinaikos.

Finally for today, Thierry Henry has left Barcelona for New York Red Bulls. He also announced his retirement from international football yesterday.

His first game for his new club will be against Tottenham.

Of which Henry said:

 "I won't even mention the name of the team that we are going to play on the 22nd.

"That's how big a rivalry is it for me."

If there is anything going on today, find me talking about it on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment