Friday, 9 July 2010

The Arsenal Paper Round: Friday July 9, 2010


Quite a bit going on this morning. All though not to much in terms of transfer movement.

Arsene Wenger has been speaking to the official site about a few things. This comes after his 'interview' with a Kenyan newspaper which has been denied by the club.

From what I understand, Arsene gave an interview which was played on Kenyan television station which was played prior to the Spain v Germany game on Wednesday.

This was then picked up by the Kenyan newspaper, where the quotes have perhaps been mistranslated.

The quotes relate to Manuel Almunia. And the only newspaper to run the quotes - these have been denined as being correct - is the Metro.

And despite us having just signed Laurent Koscielny he wants to drip his toe in the transfer market again, with another defensive player on the radar.

Interesting is the line within the story on the official site which states:

Wenger has a trio of veteran centre backs out of contract - William Gallas, Sol Campbell and Mikael Silvestre. Their futures are not yet known so their manager is on the look-out.

Now Sol Campbell is in talks with Sunderland, so there is a chance he could leave, but according to George Caulkin of The Times, they were informal talks rather than anything too serious.

But there has been no announcements on the future of Gallas since the World Cup.

You would have thought that he would have liked to have signed somewhere - his monthly pay cheque with Arsenal coming to an end at the start of June - so that he could come back from his post World Cup holiday and know where he is playing next season.

Is there still a chance he could resign the contract he didn't really want?

On new defensive players Wenger said:
"We identified Koscielny as a very, very strong centre half.

"He can be an outstanding addition to our team. But it is not over, we are still open to buy.

"We are still on the market for another defensive player because we have the need for one more."
Meanwhile the manager was no concerns over the fitness of Nicklas Bendtner.

Earlier this week The Daily Mirror reported the striker was returning to London for treatment on a groin problem and there was a suggestion that he could miss the start of the season.

Wenger is not anticipating a major issue.

He said:
"We have an assessment with him on Thursday.

"It is a groin problem and we see where we go from there.

"We need to check it to see if we have to do something. But no, it is not a big problem."
And on to the transfer speculation round up.

Juventus say they are open to selling Felipe Melo who we were linked with last summer, according to The Sun.

He's 27 years-old and has a contract until June 2014. So would cost quite a bit.

Can't see it happening myself.

We're again linked with a move to sign Algerian defender Rafik Halliche, this time by The Sun.

The Daily Star suggest that if Barcelona want to sign Cesc Fabregas, they'll have to sell Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Meanwhile the Daily Mail suggest there is something wrong with Barcelona's finances.

As I said yesterday, I don't think we'll be looking to our rising stars to provide defensive back up this season.

The Sun say Kyle Bartley will go back to Sheffield United on loan.

I'm told that Portsmouth are also interested in Bartley's services as well.

And on to some former players and thier futures.

Jermaine Pennant could move to Napoli according to the Daily Mirror.

Whilst goal keeper Richard Wright might end up at Manchester City, according to The Sun.

It seems that they are creating a graveyard at Eastlands for former Arsenal keepers, what with Stuart Taylor already being there.

And that's your lot. If there is anything going on today, you can find me talking about it on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment