Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Wenger monitoring Manchester City midfielder -Bendtner finally set to leave?

Morning Gooners.

There isn't very much going on in Arsenal land so far today. There is an interesting story in The Sun, which says we're monitoring Gareth Barry's situation at Manchester City.

The midfielder has a year left on his contract and the newspaper believes we might be prepared to offer him a two year deal on reduced terms. He currently gets £100,000 a week..

I'm not convinced we need a 32-year-old who isn't the most mobile of players. I'm sure he could do a job for us if Arsene Wenger did sign him as a squad player. But there would be no way I'd have him in the starting line up ahead of either Aaron Ramsey or Mikel Arteta on the form they showed in the final ten games of the season.

It's clear we're looking to strengthen in the middle of the pitch. Lars Bender is the latest player we've had a bid turned down for and Marouane Fellaini is certainly one who will join us - if he reduces his £100k a week way demands. But Barry? He's not as inspiring.

Having said that, paying £3.5m for an experienced squad player like Barry would certainly bolster our numbers. And if we're looking to compete on all four fronts we need a bigger squad to enable us to do that.  Signing a player who knows the Premier League and is a model professional would be no bad thing either.

Elsewhere it seems as though Nicklas Bendtner has finally decided where he will be playing football next season. The Daily Mirror is reporting the Denmark international will join Eintracht Frankfurt for £3m.


It seems we're slowly but surely moving on those players who no longer have a future at the club and making room on the wage bill for those that will make us a force again.


That's it for today. Back with more tomorrow.



Follow @Ashburton_Grove on Twitter. To receive the blog everyday you can subscribe via e-mail or take the RSS feed to your favourite reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment